Tampon Use After Success with Sex

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Post-Procedure Tampon Use After Success with Sex

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi all! I had the botox procedure probably a year and a half ago and have since been completely able to have penetrative sex without any issues, but one thing I have avoided doing is using tampons. I tried it once about a month after my procedure and don’t think I inserted the tampon well, but the experience made me very anxious and I haven’t tried it since. I will probably always be someone who mostly uses pads, but I’d like to be able to use tampons when needed (especially since summer is coming). Does anyone have advice for how they transitioned into tampon use after/while treating their vaginismus to make it more manageable? I can’t explain why I have more anxiety around a smaller object than a penis, but sometimes that’s just how it goes!

Sks823
    Participant

hey girl,

No worries – things like this need noooo explanation, anxiety from vaginismus is confusing and tampons can be weird the first few times (and aren’t always super comfortable when not inserting it far enough).

I remember treating it like a dilator since I started using them while using the dilators. I think the first time, I may have put a bit of lube on the applicator.

Since I know you were very successful with dilating, maybe you could try (a) putting a little lube on the part of the tampon applicator that you’re inserting and/or (b) (if you’re home or it’s possible,) putting it in while you’re in the same position that you’re used to putting dilators in (may have to put a towel down if you’re bleeding heavily)! Obviously you can’t do the second suggestion if you’re in a public bathroom or anything like that, but it might be a reasonable idea just to get your mind more comfortable with putting in the tampon. (“I’ve done this tons of times with dilators larger than this!”)

Just know that there’s no way you can put in the applicator TOO far, and if it’s not in far enough it might be a bit uncomfortable after you remove the applicator (but won’t be harmful or anything – just take out & try again).

Basically, you have to push the applicator in as far as it’ll go comfortably (it kinda just slips in comfortably when it’s in the right place), and at this point your fingers should be close to or pressed against your vagina. Then push the inner tube to insert the tampon, then take the applicator out. (You may know all of this but there’s no shame in not knowing exactly how to use a tampon – I definitely had to google when I was first attempting.)

There’s also no shame in this taking a few tries to get used to, I doubt anyone (vaginismus or not) did it perfectly their first time 🙂

Sks823
    Participant

Taking it out may feel a little weird, kinda like the dilators did. I still take it out pretty slowly, and I don’t feel any discomfort. If you pull out a dry tampon that’s only been in your vagina a short time, it can be a bit more uncomfortable than one that’s not dry.

Another quick thing you could do – maybe BEFORE you put in the tampon, tug a bit on the string, just to make sure the string doesn’t come off easily which would make removing the tampon a little harder (don’t worry this hardly ever happens unless it’s a crappy brand, but if you tug on the string before you’ll be 200% sure it won’t happen) 🙂

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Sks823, this is all super helpful, I really appreciate it. I’m gonna try these techniques – it helps to have someone to reassure you of how exactly it’s supposed to feel! I will let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks when I’m on my next period!

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Sks823, wanted to thank you again for your advice. For my period this month I took your advice and laid down like I did when I used to dilate when inserting the tampon and it made a huge difference. I didn’t have any problem at all getting it in all the way and at the right angle, so that was a great way to start. I did try once in more of a regular toilet/standing position but immediately started getting lightheaded, so I think I may have jumped the gun a bit on that, but it’s great to be able to put in a tampon for a few hours in case I want to go swimming or just not have to deal with a pad for awhile. Thanks so much for your guidance and I can’t wait to get even better at using them!

Sks823
    Participant

Awwwww it makes me so happy that I was able to help you 🙂 congratulations on being able to put it in! And no worries that you weren’t able to do it standing up quite yet, I’m sure you’ll get there!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.