Alternative botox treatment

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Alternative botox treatment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    emgb93
    Participant

Hello,
    Has anyone heard of other botox treatments where you are not put under anesthesia? I spoke with a practice in Annapolis where Dr Marvel performs the procedure and you are awake for it.

mazemelissa

Botox injections can be performed without using anesthesia, and there are many practitioners who will inject botox into the tight pelvic floor muscles as an in-office procedure.

We opt to use anesthesia, as many vaginismus patients we see have significant fear of penetration, and they would not be able to tolerate the injections without the sedation.

I think if a woman does not have any fear, and they can have some penetration, but the muscle tone is just significantly increased, botox without anesthesia is an option.

Our protocol at maze includes the botox injections combined with progressive dilation, so we feel the anesthesia is necessary in order to perform both.

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Speaking as someone who has had the botox treatment at the Maze clinic, being unconscious was super helpful to me personally as my response whenever someone tried to examine me was basically to jump off the table, my penetration anxiety was so bad. Like Melissa said, I think which type of procedure is right for you would depend on the severity of your vaginismus and the extent to which your issues relate to anxiety and fear rather than just muscle tightness. Just know there are facilities across the country that offer either option, so both treatment types are out there!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.