Bringing dilators to a doctor appointment?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Bringing dilators to a doctor appointment?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ettina
    Participant

Has anyone ever brought their dilators to a doctor appointment? I was thinking about how my planned time to resume trying IUIs is coming up, and how starting with a large size is a lot harder than working up to it with preparation using smaller dilators. And I was wondering if it’s worth asking the fertility clinic if I can be alone in the exam room and use my dilators before the IUI. Is that weird? Is it worth asking, or is it a bad idea?

Ettina
    Participant

Good news! I called them today and it’s totally fine!

Naomicandoit
    Participant

Wow, that is a great idea! I am also working my way towards IUI. I will ask the clinic if I can take dilators and use them before the procedure- great idea! Thanks. Let me know how it went.

Thank you for posting this very important question (and resolution) with us, @Ettina!

It’s critical that we advocate for ourselves, but we all know society historically hasn’t made that an easy ride for women. At Maze, we’re committed to changing the narrative within the healthcare system. And so we encourage taking charge of your health and well-being by being curious, inquisitive and making informed decisions.

@Ettina
    – you demonstrated and proved that knowledge is power! Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.

Ettina
    Participant

Thanks! I’m really glad I had the courage to ask.

I took the dilators along to my ultrasound a few days ago, and I think it made things a lot easier. Although I misunderstood what size the ultrasound thing was, and went up to a dilator size larger than the ultrasound thing’s size, so anyone who is planning to do the same thing should try to compare them more carefully than I did!

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

That’s such a great tip for the other women here, Ettina! We often don’t know what’s “allowed” at the doctor’s, but as you’ve proven it’s totally worth asking and being our own advocates so we can be as comfortable as possible and actually get the information and treatment we want to receive. Thank you for sharing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.