Burning when Dilating -Related to Botox Wearing Off?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Burning when Dilating -Related to Botox Wearing Off?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Leena
    Participant

Hello, all! I had the highest level vaginismus and had my procedure done in May 2015 with great initial results. I was/am not in a relationship so I was never able to try to have intercourse, but I was able to use one of the vibrators that Dr. Pacik carried in his office. My dilating was going great, with 4 at night and 5 in the day from the start. After a few months I started to experience burning when dilating with 5 that gradually worsened over time to that point that, in consultation with Dr. P, I discontinued use of 5 for while, but I still have not been able to get back up to it. (The issue with my dilation schedule has also been complicated by IBS-D, which I will share in a separate post.) In hindsight, the onset and graduated increase in burning with 5 to the point of discontinuing its use seems to suspiciously coincide with the time Botox starts to wear off – around 3 to 4 months. Has anyone had any experience with this type of situation? Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Leena. I remember talking to you in the past here and am so happy to be talking to you again. I am so sorry though that you are experiencing the burning that you describe in your post. I wanted to share with you an awesome post that Melissa from Maze wrote in the past concerning cool water cones that may help with burning. Specifically, she wrote:

“There is a product that I have used with some patients called “cool water cones” http://www.coolwatercones.com/, they are hydrocolloid dilators that self-lubricate with the application of water. When cool water is applied, the dilators lubricate and can be inserted, they provide a cooling sensation while dilating. Some patients find these more comfortable to use than plastic or silicone dilators.”

She further describes how either using cold dilators or the cool water cones will help with the burning sensation as well as decreasing inflammation. She writes:

“The coldness of the dilator will help numb some of the burning sensation like a local anesthetic. Coldness can also help decrease inflammation as well.”

This may be something useful to try that may help with the burning. Please, please know that I am here for you and you have my support 100%!!!!

Leena
    Participant

Heather! This is super helpful! Thanks so much. I will definitely try these.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.