Daily Question 3 (1/5) – Sleeping with Dilators

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Daily Question 3 (1/5) – Sleeping with Dilators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. Today, Dr. P. has an excellent blog posted all about “Sleeping with Dilators”. For those patients reading this who are to-be-treated, the sound of this can seem daunting and even impossible. I remember reading Dr. P’s book pre-procedure and when I read this particular part, I laughed at even the thought of this as if I couldn’t even insert a q-tip, how could I possibly sleep all night long with a dilator inserted. I, again, couldn’t have been more wrong and more surprised at how normal sleeping with the dilator becomes. On the first couple of nights post-procedure, it felt strange for me to do this but didn’t cause pain, which was important to me. Then, the more that I slept with it, the more comfortable it became and the more used to it I got. I also found, as Dr. P’s blog notes, that it is much, much easier to move on to the next size dilator immediately after waking up as your muscles have stretched out all night long with the dilator in place. For those of you transitioning to intercourse, this is also a good time to try this as well as you have been dilating all evening prior. For to-be-treated patients, please know that although you may not be able to imagine this now, sleeping with the dilator can become normal and almost routine. For those patients who have been treated, what experiences have you had with sleeping with dilators? Do you have any tips for those just starting the process on day 1 after the procedure?

Amanda Miller
    Participant

I didn’t care for sleeping with the dilators, however it wasn’t impossible. I did it for the first week or so sleeping with the purple dilator. It didn’t hurt at all just hard to get comfortable sometimes so I sat on the neck pillow. I decided sleeping with it in wasn’t for me and I sent Ellen an email asking for any other options. She told me to just extend my dilating in the morning on the nights I was suppose to sleep in it and that has worked wonders for me.

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

I agree. Some patients simply struggle with sleeping with dilators, while others find it easy. It’s not the end of the world if this is discontinued and making up extra time during daily dilation. If discomfort returns, it is simply a sign that more dilation is needed (rather than more Botox). If discomfort does return it is never as severe as the original problem of vaginismus.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.