Dilation – What’s Your Go-To Distraction Technique

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Dilation – What’s Your Go-To Distraction Technique

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone!

We spend time with each patient here at Maze focusing on how they will go about the process of regular dilation. I mean, let’s face it – no one wakes up, pumps their fists in their air and says “WOO HOO! I get to dilate today”! (I mean, if you do, more power to you!). But for most women, it’ a chore, it’s a drag, it’s a whole lot of “I don’t wanna”.

We ask women if a particular time of day would be best, or they prefer to change it up. We wonder if they would prefer to go into total relaxation mode, of if distraction is their best dilation strategy.

We’d love to hear from you – how do you keep to these important daily appointments for best success? Drop us a line – it could really help someone in need of new beginning or a refresh of their own approach.

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Great question, Jennifer! Dilating definitely wasn’t something I relished, but getting into a routine helped me get more used to it. My habit was to start by doing the more active parts of dilating (inserting and removing the dilator a few times, wiggling it around, etc.) and then after I’d done that I would settle in for whatever distraction activity felt right that day. Something I found myself mostly gravitating toward was reading Snapchat news stories or other seemingly mindless content. Other times I would watch TV or play a video game, but I found that something that felt easy (like checking social media) was easiest. I’d recommend anything that feels like it truly demands nothing of you, whether that’s watching a familiar and beloved show or zoning out on instagram. It helped the time pass so I’d get the benefits of leaving in the dilator for awhile!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.