Discussing Vaginismus in College in 2016

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Advocacy Discussing Vaginismus in College in 2016

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. I recently came across a June 2016 article in which a girl diagnosed with vaginismus discussed her story and treatment in a Queens University magazine. The link to the story can be found here:

http://www.queensjournal.ca/story/2016-06-26/lifestyle/persevering-through-vaginismus/

Excerpts include:
    “If you, like me, have found yourself in sexual situations that just don’t seem to be working properly, please don’t give up or panic like I did. Read some of the literature on vaginismus and talk to your doctor about it. Vaginismus is a curable condition, and many people are out there to support you like they did for me.”

I encourage you to read and welcome your comments and feedback here. I commend this girl for writing to her university magazine about it and spreading awareness in this way as there may be so many others out there with the same condition not knowing what they have or where to turn for help.

Thanks for posting this Heather. We see many women in college, or recent graduates who are struggling with vaginismus. Most have had such a hard time ever talking to anyone about their issue, as they are not comfortable talking about sex, and often think they are “abnormal.” To any readers out there who are in college, please know you are not alone, and writing an article or posting information about vaginismus around your university could be very helpful to other women. The more it is talked about and information distributed, the easier it will be for those suffering from vaginismus to get the help they need.

Helen Leff, LCSW

Heather , thanks for finding and posting the article written in Queens University magazine. Vaginismus awareness is key to helping cure this curable condition. It was wonderful to read that along with feelings of struggle, pain and panic there was also humor, lightheartedness and laughter. The story of vaginismus can have a happy ending.

Hi everyone, I was just reviewing this post and thinking about all the girls who are now home from college due to Coronavirus. As we are all aware, anxiety is quite high right now and this can make vaginismus worse. If you are home, and unable to access your usual healthcare provider – please know that the clinicians at Maze Women’s health are active here on the forum. We would be happy to provide support and encouragement so you can continue to dilate at home! Please don’t hesitate to reach out.
    Jackie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.