Talking to Patients with Sexual Dysfunction

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Talking to Patients with Sexual Dysfunction

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. The topic of talking to doctors and providers about vaginismus always comes up. In the past, I, along with so many other Forum members were told to “just relax” “its all in your head” and just so many more things that made the journey in overcoming that much more difficult. It wasn’t until I found Dr. Pacik that I actually found someone who understood the condition for the very first time. Maze Women’s Sexual Health has an excellent resource guide:

Best Practices for Talking to Patients with Female Sexual Dysfunction (FSD)

//mazewomenshealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/FemaleSexualDysfunctionFSDResourceGuide.pdf

They write:

“Women often depend on their OB/GYNs for sexual health advice, as they are likely the only health care providers they may see on a regular basis. Therefore, it is critical that they be open to assessing and managing a variety of sexual dysfunction conditions within their practice. If needed, each OB/GYN can also serve as an important source for referring women to appropriate services.”

I am always shocked at how many of my patients have been told that Vaginismus is all “in their head.” For so many women it is difficult for them to even broach the topic of sex, and when they are told that their pain is “all in their head,” they often shut down, and feel shame and embarrassment. But, it is the strength and perseverance of these patients that keep on asking, that has made such a difference in understanding Vaginimus, and the more education we can get out there, the more women we will reach.

Yes I agree with Nicole. So many doctors just don’t understand. I am so happy that women have a forum to go to, to see that they are not the only ones, and that there is treatment available!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.