Hello from the UK!!

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Hello from the UK!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ukgirl
    Participant

Hello, in 43 and from the Uk, I’ve had vaginismus since I can remember, I’ve never had sex, I’ve tried a few times to inert a tampon with no luck what so ever, I feel frustrated every time I try with no luck, it’s not the pain it’s not fear, I don’t know why I just have a fear that nothing will f it up there!!

A few years ago I had to have a polyp removed and was put under, I also had my 1st ever smear (pap) test, so I know there no problems with something going up there, it’s just when I try it I have no luck freeze up and give up, should I try with dilators? With they help?

Does anyone know if there is anything in the UK like this treatment as I can’t afford to come over there to have this done?

Thanks

Heather34
    Participant

Hi ukgirl! Welcome to the Forum and thank you for your post. I am so sorry for what you are going through with vaginismus. I had primary vaginismus for so many years and felt so similar. I attempted to insert even the smallest tampon and just could not get it beyond this wall of resistance. It caused a ton of burning pain and, thus, the fear/pain response kept happening when trying to insert anything at all. I tried using dilators on my own prior to having the Botox procedure and despite how many times I tried they just did not work at all. That being said, several women have had great success with using dilators. After I had the Botox procedure and woke up with the largest dilator in place, I seriously was in shock and just so happy and elated that something could be inside of me and it didn’t hurt. It did feel weird as I never had anything inside of me but was not painful. After my procedure, I was able to use the dilators successfully and later make love to my hubby. Every time that I did the dilating post-procedure, I would remember being in the office in NH and how it successfully worked there and it helped me so much to overcome any mental hurdles of it not working. I had the procedure with Dr. Pacik up in NH but he is now retired. He is referring patients to a great group that he trained, Maze Women’s Sexual Health outside of NYC.

I did a search for Botox treatment for vaginismus in the UK and found an interesting site that shared one patient’s story with NHS: https://overcomingvirginity.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/nhs-botox-procedure-to-cure-dyspareuniavaginismus-my-experience/. In her comments, she wrote:

“I had this done at James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough last November. I told my GP about my ongoing problems with sexual intercourse and she referred me to a gynae at James Cook. After they examined me and realised just how bad my problem was they offered the botox procedure. Have you asked to see a gynae? I’d recommended doing so as the procedure is increasingly common and if you can get it on the NHS it’s free.”

If you do decide to try using dilators, I want to share the link for the second issue of the VaginismusMD Newsletter that discusses all-things dilating. Specific topics include: Styles and Materials of Dilators, Getting Started with Dilation, Anxiety Control, Advanced Dilation Techniques, and Transitioning to Intercourse. http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-resources/vaginismus-newsletter-archive/ins-outs-vaginal-dilation/ Post-procedure, I have used both the Pure Romance and Pacik Glass dilators and there are many qualities that I like about both. Concerning the Pure Romance ones, they are silicone and have a large handle which made insertion, removal, and reinsertion much, much easier for me. Concerning the Pacik Glass dilators, I like that they are smaller in length and, again, for me, they had the handle which helped me greatly with the insertion and removing them.

I think it’s great that although we live so far away from each other that we have a place to talk openly about this condition. Please know that I’m here for you. Melissa and Dr. Pacik, do you have any additional thoughts?

mazemelissa

Hello to the UK!

I strongly encourage you to consider a trip to the US for the botox procedure with progressive dilation. Your brief description of what you are going through sounds like classic vaginismus, and the botox procedure with progressive dilation is so successful. We have treated many women who come from the UK, as well as even farther, like Vietnam and Singapore. The procedure will give you the confidence you need to get started with dilation and move on with treatment. Dilators are a great tool to treat vaginismus, but if you don’t have guidance or someone helping you insert the dilators, you may not have as much success. I would love to speak with you further about coming in for the procedure. Feel free to reach out to our office to schedule a free phone consultation.

Melissa
    914-328-3700

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.