London Botox

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Kanwal_K! I had the botox procedure in America so I can address some of your questions about it. In short, YES, botox relaxes the muscles so they are less likely to spasm whenever something tries to enter them (that sensation of there being a wall), which makes it easier for things to enter. However, dilating is still necessary for the botox to enable you to achieve penetration long term. The Maze Clinic in America also does something during the botox procedure that I consider a huge part of its success, which is that while the patient is under anesthesia and receiving the botox, the doctor inserts the largest-size dilator so that when the patient wakes up, the dilator is inserted and she can see that her vagina is capable of accepting large objects. This does a lot to break the mental block of thinking there’s something wrong with your vagina and gives you something to remember whenever you’re struggling with dilating down the line.

As for the pain of dilating, yes, it definitely gets better with time. The idea behind dilating is that the more practice the muscles get with stretching, the more conditioned they’ll be to that sensation and in turn you’ll be able to insert larger dilators and feel less discomfort with those dilators. Your vaginal muscles are just like any muscles, though – stretching them regularly through dilation or sex keeps them conditioned to that sensation. It’s all a process, but it really does get easier!

Kanwal_k
    Participant

Thank you so much! Sorry for all the questions but prior to having botox were you able to insert anything at all? And also how many units botox were used during your procedure?

Many thanks x

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Kanwal_k – No, I was never able to insert anything at all before getting botox (and I DID try). When I started going to Maze we first attempted to work with dilators normally, but my vaginismus was too severe for it to even slightly work. That’s why I ended up opting to go with botox (which was SUPER effective).

To be honest I can’t remember how many units of botox Maze prescribes with its procedure – I know it’s an effort of every part of the procedure, but I would definitely attibute the dilation under anesthesia to be perhaps even the more effective part of my treatment. I’m hoping one of the Maze doctors might remember and could chime in.

CrisCris
    Participant

Hi ladies,

I am so glad I discovered this forum! I have also had vaginismus for about 10 years now and have been struggling with it ever since. I have recently started thinking of going to see a psychosexual therapist in London. Has anyone tried this and if yes, do you have any recommendations?

JESsee
    Participant

Chloe you angel! I’ve read the same article on Cosmo but couldn’t find contact details and google wasn’t much help. I’ve been having problems with tampons and a fear of them since I was about 10, so I’ve never been able to use one. When I first had sex with my bf just over a year ago it was painful (which I expected) it just never got better, sometimes it’s bearable other times it’s impossible. I’ve tried everything at home I can think of… lots of lube, breathing/relaxation exercises, different positions. I also got some dilators but I’m too scared to use them! Your post was so refreshing as I’ve also struggled to find information and treatment in UK. One GP thought it was thrush so did swaps which case back negative, however that was a painful experience and another referred me to private counselling that I’d struggle to afford. It doesn’t seem as if there’s much in ways of understanding or treatment in the UK. Thank you so much, I feel understood and am so happy to have found someone as young as me struggling with the same thing! X

Sam786
    Participant

Hi Megreeson

I know this is going back quite a while now but I have only joined this forum recently. I was wondering if you could tell me more about your hymen removal surgery as I am considering have it done to rule out a physical cause of my vaginismus.

Is it provided on the NHS? If not, how much does it cost?
    How long is the procedure?
    What was the after-experience like?
    Did they have to do a penetrative examination before they proceeded? The reason for this question is I am unable to have any penetrative examinations because of the severity of my vaginismus, but still want to remove my hymen if it is still intact ( I don’t know whether it is or isn’t) because I don’t want it to be a hinderance in the future when I finally am ready to have sex/overcome my psychological issues.

I would be grateful for more information!

Sam786
    Participant

Hi Megreeson

I know this is going back quite a while now but I have only joined this forum recently. I was wondering if you could tell me more about your hymen removal surgery as I am considering have it done to rule out a physical cause of my vaginismus.

Is it provided on the NHS? If not, how much does it cost?
    How long is the procedure?
    What was the after-experience like?
    Did they have to do a penetrative examination before they proceeded? The reason for this question is I am unable to have any penetrative examinations because of the severity of my vaginismus, but still want to remove my hymen if it is still intact ( I don’t know whether it is or isn’t) because I don’t want it to be a hinderance in the future when I finally am ready to have sex/overcome my psychological issues.

I would be grateful for more information!

Cherrypie93
    Participant

Hi Chloemorris, what was your experience with the clinic and the doctors and nurses? Did you find you were supported post-procedure in terms of follow-ups and help with dilating?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.