Magazine Article: Trips to the Gynecologist Can Be a Nightmare

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Advocacy Magazine Article: Trips to the Gynecologist Can Be a Nightmare

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. There is a recent magazine article concerning vaginismus and how trips to the gynecologist can be a nightmare:

http://www.bustle.com/articles/166644-for-people-with-vaginismus-trips-to-the-gynecologist-can-be-a-nightmare?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=feminismbustle

I encourage you to read and welcome your comments and feedback here.

Many of my patients who I see at Maze have shared this awful story about trips to their gynecologist. . I am both shocked and saddened that gynecologists are not fully aware how to manage patients with vaginismus.
    At Maze we seek out gynecologists who are both sensitive and in the know about vaginismus before we refer them for their first gynecology exam post treatment.
    Although vaginismus is a rare condition, it is a medical condition all the same. It requires the same expertise that many other rare medical conditions do.
    I feel it is our job as health care providers who treat vaginismus to better educate our colleagues about vaginismus.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Aimee. I absolutely love what you wrote: “At Maze we seek out gynecologists who are both sensitive and in the know about vaginismus before we refer [patients] for their first gynecology exam post treatment.” For me personally, this was such a huge thing (having a successful ob/gyn exam) to also overcome following my Botox treatment for vaginismus. I had always had horrible experiences and never was able to have a successful one until after my Botox procedure. At the time, Dr. Pacik knew a great ob/gyn doctor in Brookline and talked to her in advance and I attended this first exam with the confidence that she knew a lot about the condition of vaginismus. She did and it ended up being a very good first exam experience. I can’t tell you how awesome, encouraging and important it is for patients to be able to find gynecologists like this for their first post-procedure appointment.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.