The Botox Procedure, One Year Later

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Success Stories The Botox Procedure, One Year Later

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    recessivegenequeen
    Participant

It’s hard for me to believe that a year ago today I was in White Plains, New York, getting the botox procedure for vaginismus. The crazy part is that even though a year wasn’t that long ago, it feels like it was ages ago.

The first few months after treatment were hard – the work of dilating was daily and demanding. It was a psychological battle with myself to keep going despite incremental progress, to believe that one day it might not feel like such an immense amount of work to do something so simple, to trust in the process that seemed so simple but felt so insurmountable.

But then, after weeks of exertion (that felt like months,) it happened. I was able to have intercourse with my partner, and to my total surprise, over time it got easier and easier. Then it wasn’t uncomfortable at all – it was even fun and pleasurable and stress-free!

Now that I stand where I am, looking back, I can’t imagine having NOT done this. To everyone out there wondering if they can do this: you can. You’ll be so amazed and humbled at your own strength and willpower, and that will be an extra gift you didn’t even realize you’d get from wading through all this mud to the oasis on the other side.

This makes me so happy. Your words of encouragement are incredibly powerful. It is so nice to hear from someone who has undergone the botox treatment and is able to have both pain-free and enjoyable intercourse. All your hard work paid off.
    If you are new to our Vaginismus forum and you have not yet been treated, do offer a free 10 minute phone consult.
    Vaginismus is treatable and you are not alone.

melodi
    Participant

Thank you for your story.

melodi
    Participant

I’m from Indonesia, my doctors will do Botox injections next month. I want to know that when in the Botox injections, can do hymenotomy also if need? Is this safety?

mazemelissa

Hi Melodi,

We often will do a hymenotomy procedure at the same time as the botox injections. For many of our patients the exam under anesthesia is the first time they are having any penetration, so it is not uncommon for us to see a fully intact hymenal ring. We make two small incisions in the hymenal ring to release the tension, and leave the incisions open. This then allows for the largest dilator to be inserted without causing any tearing.

For some women it can make the first 2-3 post op days more tender and sore. But the discomfort is tolerable, and as long as you stick with the smaller dilators for the first week, until the area is more healed, patients are usually fine.

Melissa

melodi
    Participant

How if I have keloid in my skin? Is this safety if get insicions in the hymenal ring? Thank you

mazemelissa

That’s a really good question. Although there is no way to ensure that there will be no keloid development, these incisions are very superficial and heal very quickly, so keloid is less likely to occur.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.