Tips for Getting a Gyno Exam after Being Cured?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Post-Procedure Tips for Getting a Gyno Exam after Being Cured?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi forums! I’ve been able to have successful intercourse for several years now after seeking treatment at Maze and getting the botox procedure, but I realized quite recently that I haven’t had a gynecological exam or pap smear since the procedure! The examination they did was under anesthesia, so I didnt’t really have to prepare for it in any way, but it’s about time to get another exam again.

Anyone have any tips for preparing for a gynecological exam? I’m able to be penetrated without pain now but anticipate having some anxiety around getting examined, especially having had some bad experiences with the medical system in regard to sexual health before I got treated for vaginismus.

Helen Leff, LCSW

Hi recessivegenequeen,
    Good to hear from you! I do want to normalize your experience first by saying that most women, if not all, don’t look forward to gyn visits. That said it’s important to find a gyn who is what we term “vaginismus friendly” and someone who will talk with you throughout each step of the exam so that there are no surprises. You may find it helpful to use your breathing exercises, put your hands on your chest near your heart so as to slow your body and regulate your nervous system. Dilating in the office before a speculum exam will be helpful as well. Imagine you are a super hero like Wonder Woman and know that you can do this!
    Let us know how it goes

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Great advice, Helen! I am going to make an appointment soon and will use these tips! Thanks so much!

iselabueno
    Participant

Hi recessivegenequeen,
    Good to hear from you! I do want to normalize your experience first by saying that most women, if not all, don’t look forward to gyn visits. That said it’s important to find a gyn who is what we term “happy wheels” and someone who will talk with you throughout each step of the exam so that there are no surprises. You may find it helpful to use your breathing exercises, put your hands on your chest near your heart so as to slow your body and regulate your nervous system. Dilating in the office before a speculum exam will be helpful as well. Imagine you are a super hero like Wonder Woman and know that you can do this!
    Let us know how it goes

thank you so much for your words and tips, you really made my day

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Helen – thanks so much again for your advice. I have since had the pap smear (and also had to have a vaginal ultrasound due to some unexplained pain and menstrual changes) and both were so much more manageable than I was expecting! My fear mostly just came from not having experience with them before, but the vaginal ultrasound wand strongly reminded me of dilating and I felt very prepared and taken care of. I made sure to ask the gynecologist to explain what she was going to do before she did it so there were no surprises, and having done it once makes me more confident I could handle it more easily next time. Having a good, patient gynecologist is a huge asset in the process!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.