Vaginismus Chat in Hugely Popular Podcast

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Advocacy Vaginismus Chat in Hugely Popular Podcast

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sks823
    Participant

The CRAZY popular but very controversial and super raunchy podcast “Call Her Daddy” mentioned vaginismus (and other painful sex disorders) in Episode 104 a couple of weeks ago – it’s even in the description of the episode! The host Alex had on a guest Emily Morse, a sex therapist who also hosts another podcast “Sex with Emily.” Vaginismus was discussed because people very often write into Call Her Daddy (and Sex with Emily) about sex being painful, so the host wanted Emily to discuss it.

The time stamp is 53:30 to 57:50 (then Emily starts to talk about endometriosis but host cuts her off and discusses something else which I was a bit bummed about)

Within these 4 minutes Emily, the sex therapist:
    – discusses what the pelvic floor is
    – says that 80% of women have experienced pain during sex at least once in their life
    – explains vaginismus, vulvodynia
    – goes into reasons (often starts psychological, internalizing pain/trauma, clenching for whatever reason)
    – explains that people with vaginismus should go to a pelvic floor physical therapist
    – discusses the pelvic floor therapy (explains dilators and using them in increasing sizes)

The host of Call Her Daddy seems incredibly surprised (especially about the pelvic floor therapy, which she thinks sounds fun) and has never heard any of this!

Now I know there are probably TONS of podcasts that have mentioned vaginismus, including “Sex With Emily” which I have never listened to, but I really think that this is huge (1) because of the popularity of Call Her Daddy, which is consistently one of the highest ranking of all podcasts AND (2) the fact that it is largely popular with college-aged students (females & males, mostly females) which might be the time that several women are having sex or attempting sex for the first time. I am absolutely 10000% sure that some girls listening to it may have related and decided to look into vaginismus/vulvodynia or pelvic floor therapy after listening.

Those in their 20s and 30s also enjoy the podcast so really it could be helping anyone listening – or even not listening! if someone with vaginismus has told their friend about their painful sex and that friend listened to the podcast, maybe they’ll recommend it!

Note: again, this podcast is super controversial and raunchy so don’t be mad if you listen and hate it!

@Sks823 – thanks for sharing! Yes, “Call Me Daddy” is immensely popular, and Emily Morse is also very well-known in the media world for her expertise on sexual health.

Love how you broke down the segment for us and provided the time stamp – it’s so helpful to everyone here!

It’s absolutely frustrating that Dr. Morse was cut off, especially when she had more important vaginismus information to impart. Without those other details, listeners only get a portion of the story.

While this is maddening for anyone who experiences vaginismus (and for those of us who provide care!), we are heartened whenever it’s mentioned in the media. This helps to normalize, educate, motivate people to seek accurate information, and ultimately – for those who struggle with it – find diagnosis and treatment.

We think any conversation – even if only introductory – can help change societal norms that are so antiquated when it comes to discussion of sexual issues. Thanks for being a change agent, @Sks823!

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Sks823, this is really exciting! I agree that it’s really frustrating that Dr. Morse got cut off, but any ground gained in this department is good news. I think for so many women suffering vaginal pain disorders, even the slightest mention of what was said on the podcast will be enough for people who deal with this condition to recognize the symptoms if they have them so they can investigate further on their own. Understanding you aren’t alone in dealing with this issue is the first step to seeking out more information and eventually getting treatment. Thanks for sharing this cool news!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.