Will I be dilating forever?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Will I be dilating forever?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Becca
    Participant

Hi everyone. So I just have a question. Basically it’s this, even after I have treatment done and am able to have sex (hopefully!) will I have to continue to use dilators the rest of my life? 🙁 I mean, obviously I will do whatever I need to do to be successful and have a real relationship with my husband. I just hope that I won’t have to use them the rest of my life. Will my body ever completely overcome this?

Nakitalab
    Participant

Hi Becca, I had my procedure last October and my anniversary date is about a week away. For me I find that I only need to dilate once a week or just for my own confidence– before intercourse. But there have been a couple of months where I missed a week or two too. I think everyone is different in how their body responds. But I have heard that several women on the Forum, after their first year, they find that they hardly dilate at all except for maybe going to a GYN appointment. Because I suffered with Vaginismus for most of my life (I’m 53) I find that since the procedure, my head needs more work than my body does. Although I was very diligent and followed Dr. Pacik’s dilating instructions. For me, using the dilators now are more for my confidence. 🙂

Becca
    Participant

Thank you for the response Nakitalab. 🙂 I just really don’t want to have to use them forever, that’s why I was asking. 🙂

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Becca. This is a very good question. I am now 2 years post-procedure as I had my procedure on 6/27/11. I dilated for one full year post-procedure and slept with the dilator every other night. Following this year time-frame, I stopped dilating and now only use the glass dilators prior to ob/gyn appointments. Physically, I know this is not going to hurt as I am adequately stretched out, but mentally, I always remember how bad my appointments were in the past and how much anxiety they produced and it always makes me feel so much better to dilate in advance of these appointments. It also took me a while to become comfortable with not dilating prior to intercourse and having spontaneous sex. I became very comfortable with dilating in advance but it did seem to make sex mechanical in the beginning. Then, one particular date night, we had a great dinner and came home and then just went for it, without me dilating/preparing in advance. I was initially nervous but I didn’t have the time to over-think this and it worked just fine. After this, we stopped using the dilators prior to intercourse and it became much more fun and spontaneous.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.